Cocteau Twins -Aloysius + 'discourse, AGAIN'

Cocteau Twins -Aloysius 


Something people these days, probably never listen to nor care about.  Anyway, people used to say, oh this is pleasant, it 'uplifts' me, or its and Edwardian 'throwback'.  I've never had that impression.  Cocteau Twins always made me feel a bit manic or nervous.  It's pleasant enough music as far as sound (gorgeous), but there's something just a bit unnerving beneath the 'surface'.  Edwardian/Victorian only in the 'sense', that women were considered 'property' at the time, I suppose.


Pink, Orange, Red is just a recitation of Latin names of flowers.  In film and TV in England, there was a sinister joke about hated-abusive husbands/rapists.  It was "just lie back and think of England or think of beautiful flowers." ???  Pink to Red is somewhat a nod to angry thoughts.  Something terrible that happened?


Donimo is reflection of 'Ad Hoc Domine'.  Also Domino, something falling.  Loss of faith because of something untoward...


Evangeline: "I had to fantasize just to survive".  This line always 'caught' me, because people have to fantasiz(s)e just to survive in tragic circumstances.  I still recite this in my head, years after.


A song "Eggs and their Shells", indicating fragility?  A whole thesis could be written about the band at a progressive college, but, I seriously doubt E.F., would talk much about it or give out any information.


There are numerous other examples...






I may read too much into one of my favourites from the teen years, the music may be beautiful, the happenings behind it, may not.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Almuten Figuris Calculator

Finnish "Werewolf song" L.E.A.F - SUURIN